Junior Saints Weekend

It is officially my favorite weekend of the year at Aquinas. As a college student, weekends are usually your chance to kick back, relax and think about doing your homework for Monday. It’s your chance to recoup and recover from classes, papers and tests. But once a year my weekend plans transform entirely. On Friday, January 24th, my two little sisters will be staying with me on campus for Junior Saints Weekend. Every year the three of us look forward to it.

There is something about being on campus with the “big kids” that they love. Personally, I just love showing them off! I swear I have the most adorable siblings around. They pack up all their AQ gear and head to campus for an overwhelming amount of fun. They’ll eat at the school cafeteria (which they love). They’ll head to Nelson’s Dog House for crafts, music and a number of those bouncy something-or-others. They’ll watch movies. They’ll hang out with their new 18, 19 and 20 year old friends. And eventually, on Sunday, they will head home exhausted, worn out and ready for a nap.

It is a welcome change of pace for all of us. I love knowing that they are so excited to spend the weekend with me, in the place that has become my home. When we get busy with homework, extracurricular activities, friendships and relationships, it is easy to put family on the back burner. Junior Saint’s Weekend is an opportunity to de-compartmentalize your life. Family and school do not have to be separate entities. For me, bringing the two together is one of my greatest joys, and nothing leaves a bigger smile on my face than my 12 year old sister letting me know “I’m gonna go to Aquinas one day.”

Riley   Melia and Riley Saints SquadMelia and RileyRiley at Wege