AQ Homecoming

Homecoming for us, as students, is the entertainment tent, food stands, inflatables and lots of faces that to us may be new, but to these grounds are very familiar. To these not so familiar faces, however, Homecoming is a chance to catch up with friends — both students and professors alike. It’s more than just a entertainment tent, food or inflatables. Homecoming is a friend, a family, a home.

I had the chance to speak with the Homecoming Queen of 1999 and of course, she had great things to say and useful advice to give, but what I loved the most about the interaction is that she spoke to me (and my friend who was there) as if we were all family or had been friends for a long time. She asked what our majors were and my friend said Psychology, while I went on to deliver my three-major-long spiel of German, Business, and Music. After hearing that, she of course asked what I intended on doing for a career.  I have ideas but they are rather scattered, unrelated, and frankly, don’t inspire much confidence of a future plan. Her response to my unclear future plans was what resonated with me the most. She went on to explain that she had studied Communications here at Aquinas but now currently owns a sports store and couldn’t be happier. Her point was that it doesn’t matter what I study, as long I have the drive to obtain whatever future I want.

It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside or maybe I was just hot from wearing a suit but either way, I appreciated what she had to say.  It was like getting advice from your aunt and that’s what I and so many people love about Aquinas:  the idea that we are a family, because frankly, we are. I love the family that I have established here at Aquinas and I will always see this place as a second home. As I write this, I am thinking about this being my last year here and all the people I have met, and all the things I have done. It makes me wonder how can I ever leave this place, but I know I must and that’s okay because I know I can always come back home.

Thinking about coming back to an Aquinas Homecoming as an alum, I think about the Homecoming Queen and what kind of advice or words of wisdom I would be able to give in the future. Right now I’m more concerned with getting to be an alumni at Homecoming next year but I’m not too stressed about the future because like she said, everything works out in the end the way it’s supposed to. Maybe not the way you planned but, nevertheless, just fine. I’ll just leave you with this: don’t worry about the future. It’s unknown and unpredictable but right now you can do your best and work your hardest and it will all be okay.