The Next Step

This is my final year here at Aquinas!  105 weeks of school down, 23 weeks left.  Many people ask me what I want to do after my time here, and until last Saturday, I was pretty ambivalent about my choices for next year!
Some students choose to attend graduate school after their time here, and in my mind, gradate school just wasn’t for me.  However, with encouragement from professors, friends, and family, I looked at schools in Indiana (my home state) with programs of my dream career: Urban and Regional Planning.

My fellow saint, Simone, and I traveled to Muncie, Indiana to Ball State University to see what they have to offer.  Even though it was a state-funded university, it is smaller and has that same relaxed aura that Aquinas has.  I was hooked.  Meeting the Dean of their School of Architecture and Planning was the highlight of our trip: we talked about all of the exciting urban projects in Grand Rapids and other Michigan communities.  We had a great time.

Alas, my mom texted me during the tour and said that I was accepted student graduate school!  What a great way to end the tour.

I wasn’t a great student at first: I never was graded above a B on a paper during my first semester freshman year.  In fact, most were C’s.  After getting connected to the writing center and meeting with professors, my grades began to improve.  Needless to say, I was a bit apprehensive for the analytical writing portion of the GRE exam (the test that most graduate schools require; it is similar to the ACT).  Thanks to my help here at Aquinas, I scored in the top 20% of exam takers on the writing portion.  Thanks, Aquinas!

I hope to one day be a Ball State Cardinal, but wherever I go, I will always carry my inner AQ Saint spirit wherever I go.