Serving in New Orleans

I am so thankful to have served St. Peter Claver Church and School for the third time through Aquinas’ Service Learning Department!  I could go on for hours about how much I grew with my team and with relationships there, but I would be typing for hours.  So, here is the synposis.  We spent a week at the service of one of the nation’s largest traditionally African American Catholic churches.  It was founded by an American saint, St. Katharine Drexel, in 1920 after the white parishioners abandoned the current church and left a shell.  Today, it is a dynamic place that has changed the landscape of the Treme neighborhood.  All 14 of the people on the service learning trip were Aquinas students, and we were impacted so much, each in our own individual ways.  Each night was spent eating beignets and spent reflecting with the group.  Wow.  My heart is a little heavy right now thinking back on all the fond memories, and it is difficult to articulate how moving it was for my personal growth.  Regardless, I am so thankful for the opportunity!