Playing With My Emotions

This mild winter needs to come to end.  We are halfway through April and I nearly slid into a ditch this morning.  I understand that by living in Michigan I must accept the ups and downs and swirling vortexes of weather that come with being a resident of this state.  However, my Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) has kept me in an unbreakable, unmotivated trance that can only be broken by a strong sun and the sight of bright yellow daffodils, neither of which are currently visible.  What’s worse?  Just when we forgot what warmth felt like, we get a very special day.  Little wind, partial to mostly sunny skies, and temperatures above 50 degrees.  Sounds nice right?  Wrong.  This is mother nature’s April Fool’s joke.  Because the very next day she strikes again by throwing in a white-out blizzard with temperatures in the 20’s.  Now we know how good it could be.  It’s like sticking to your diet for months and then one moment of weakness hits you and you taste that glaze on the Krispy Kreme doughnut for the first time in forever and that’s all you want to eat for the rest of your life.  You suddenly remember how difficult it was to give up that glaze in the beginning stages and now you have to push through that horrific pain once again.

I just want to turtle-it-up and bask in the sun on a log in a lake.  Instead, I am scraping the snow and my frozen tears off of my car that has been exposed to the elements for far too long.  However, the forecast does show 70 and sunny next Monday.  I’ll believe it when I see it.  I don’t want to have my hopes crushed again.